July 22, 2024

Sheriff Kevin McMahill, the Chief of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, along with Homicide Lieutenant Jason Johansson, held a press conference on the arrest of Duane “Keffe D” Davis for the murder of late rapper Tupac Shakur. RedState reported earlier on Friday:


Shakur was killed in a drive-by shooting on the Las Vegas strip on September 7th 1997, as he and his manager at the time, Marion Hugh “Shug” Knight, were driving in a large convoy of 10 vehicles near the Las Vegas Strip. A lone vehicle pulled up to his vehicle at a red light and opened fire. Shakur was shot multiple times and died from his wounds days later; the case has been unsolved ever since. 

Duane “Keffe D” Davis was arrested early Friday morning, although the exact charge or charges were not immediately clear, according to two officials with first-hand knowledge of the arrest. They were not authorized to speak publicly ahead of an expected indictment later Friday.

Davis has long been known to investigators and has himself admitted in interviews and in his 2019 tell-all memoir, “Compton Street Legend,” that he was in the Cadillac where the gunfire erupted during the September 1996 drive-by shooting. Shakur was 25 when he was gunned down.

According to Johansson, Shakur and his manager Marion “Shug” Knight were “closely affiliated” with the “Mob Piru” criminal street gang. They are a “Blood” set, black street gang with roots in the east side of Compton in Los Angeles County and were historical adversaries of the “South Side Compton Crips,” another black criminal street gang in Compton. Duane Davis, at the time, was the leader and “shot caller” for the “South SIde Compton Crips.” 


At the time of the incident, Shakur, along with Knight and several other people in their entourage, who were all known members of the “Mob Piru,” were leaving the MGM Grand Garden Arena after attending a Mike Tyson boxing match. Duane Davis, along with several members of the South Side Compton Crips, were also in attendance and as both groups were leaving, members of the “Mob Piru” that were with Shakur, saw a man named Orlando Anderson who was Davis’s nephew, and attacked him.

Shakur, along with his entourage and Knight, were seen leaving the MGM Grand to go to a local nightclub for a post-fight party. Lt. Johansson stated that Davis devised a plan to retaliate against Shakur and Knight, obtained a firearm, and proceeded to look for them. Davis, along with several others, got into a white Cadillac and eventually saw the black BMW that Shakur and Knight were in. They proceeded to pull up to the passenger side of the BMW and began firing at Shakur who was seated in the passenger seat. 

Johansson stated that the information he gave during the briefing was known to them a few months after the incident, however did not have the necessary evidence to bring it forward to a grand jury. He stated that it wasn’t until 2018 that detectives were able to use public statements given by Davis to various media outlets regarding the incident; Over the past five years, they pieced enough evidence and information together to obtain a search warrant that was served almost two months ago, which led to the collection of more evidence which was taken to a grand jury. The grand jury returned an indictment for “open murder,” with use of a deadly weapon, along with a gang enhancement.


Davis will be seen in court in a few days for his arraignment and bail hearing, along with a jury trial date. This officially brings the decades-long cold case to its closing chapter. Obviously, we have to wait and see what the trial brings forward, and whether or not Davis gets convicted. But the end is near, and people can finally see it happen. 

You can watch the full press conference below:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *